Broken Teeth, Infection, Swelling, Allergic Reactions. Why NOT to Get Your Tongue Pierced!

Tongue Piercing

Tongue Piercing has become very popular, especially with teenagers and young adults. Most people regard tongue piercing as a safe and fun way to express themselves, much like piercing our ears. Unfortunately, tongue piercing can cause significant damage to our teeth as well as other health risks!

Fractured Teeth

It is very common to see perfectly healthy teeth fractured from tongue piercings. This often happens when a person inadvertently bites on the piercing during chewing or sleeping. The fractures can range in size from minor chips in the enamel to major fractures that require a filling or a crown to fix. In extreme cases the fracture may damage the tooth nerve requiring a root canal or even extraction to remedy.

Swelling and Infection

It is common for the tongue to swell after a piercing. This swelling is often minor, but in some cases the swelling can be significant enough to compromise a person's breathing.

The tongue is full of bacteria and by piercing it the bacteria can enter into the blood. This can lead to infections in the tongue and even in other areas of the body- especially if you have certain health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, joint replacements or congenital heart conditions.

Allergic Reactions

Depending on the type of metal the piercing is made of, you may develop an allergic reaction. Some piercings are not surgical grade stainless steel and a person can experience an allergic reaction even if they do not typically have metal allergies.

If you still decide to pierce your tongue, take some simple precautions to avoid problems.

*Ask for a surgical grade stainless steel piercing

*Take out your piercing when you eat and sleep

*Keep your piercing very clean by using an antiseptic mouthwash daily and brush the piercing just like you brush your teeth.

Division Dental Studio
1900 Division St. #2
Bemidji, MN 56601
218-333-8832